Top China Web Apps
Sina is is the largest Chinese-language web portal (news, entertainment, email, search, etc), so similar in a way to Yahoo.
Benjamin told me that Sina, Sohu and Baidu are all listed on US Nasdaq and each is valued at over $500M. And those are just 3 of the more familiar names to english-speaking Web people. China is such a big player now on the Web that they have 4 companies in Alexa's top 10 web properties in the world (Baidu, qq.com, sina.com, 163.com). The US has 5 in the top 10 and Japan 1.
Other China Web 2.0 apps
- Douban: One of the choice of Business 2.0's "Web 2.0 Around the World "; my profile for it
- Podlook: A Chinese podcast directory (profile).
- Dianping: Local business review and search service, some introduction here.
- Wealink: business social networking service.
- zhuaxia: online rss reader similar to rojo (profile).
- Sohu Blog: blog service by Sohu, a popular internet portal site, just upgrade to allow users to add various widgets into their blogs.
- iephotoshop: online image editor, very powerful, but IE only.
- Feedsky: an analog of Feedburner in China.
- Editgrid: Online spreadsheet (profile).
- Maxthon: a IE based browser.
- City8: online map service with local real view (profile).
- eDushi: online 3D map service.
- Qihoo: BBS and blog search and aggregrator. (disclaimer: Tangos is currently an employee of Qihoo)
- wretch.cc: Taiwan-based blog and photo album service.
- 8box.cn: music discovering and sharing service (an interview with its founder).